This is a notification message.

Searching for 100 missing journalists in Bashar's prisons

15 Dec 2024, 09:00 AM
المركز القطرى للصحافة
  • A-
  • A+

The family of Palestinian journalist Muhib al-Nawati is hopeful that his fate will be known after the fall of the regime in Syria, where he disappeared about 13 years ago. Majd Al-Nawati, Muhib’s eldest son, said that his father, who is 56 years old, disappeared during his visit to Syria on January 5, 2012, and nothing is known about him until now. Majd expected in an interview with Quds Press that his father had been arrested by the Syrian regime, "as he remained in contact with us five days after entering Syria, then we lost contact with him, and we did not hear anything about him after that.

 

" He added: "After that, we started to move, whether through the Palestinian Journalists Syndicate, of which Muhaib is a member, or through the Palestinian Authority, the PLO, the Fatah movement, and human rights and international institutions, to find out the fate of my father, but to no avail." He said: Through a human rights organization, we learned that my father “is in one of the Syrian regime’s prisons only,” without revealing further details about this information.

 

Al-Nawati said : “After the fall of the Assad regime, our hope was renewed to find my father or know something about him.” He called on the new Syrian authorities and those released from Syrian prisons who know anything about him to inform them

 

Mauritanian and Lebanese

 

On the other hand, news websites published a media campaign to find out the fate of the Mauritanian journalist and correspondent, Ishaq Ould Mukhtar, and the Lebanese photojournalist, Samir Kassab, who disappeared with their driver in 2012 in Syria, and their fate is still unknown to this day.

 

The campaign called on Syrian media outlets and organizations to search for missing persons in Syrian prisons after they were freed from detainees. According to the Committee to Protect Journalists, a New York-based advocacy group that protects press freedom worldwide, Syria has been the world’s most dangerous place for journalists in recent years. More than 80 journalists have been kidnapped there since 2011, and about 20 are still missing, according to the Committee to Protect Journalists. The Syrian Network for Human Rights says that more than 717 journalists and media workers have been killed since 2011.

المركز القطرى للصحافة
جرائم ضد الصحفيين حول العالم ١٩ مارس ٢٠٢٤, ٠٧:٠٠ص

أكدت دولة قطر مسؤولية الدول...

المركز القطرى للصحافة
نساء غزة في يوم الأم العالمي.. شهيدات وأرامل وثَكَالَى ٢١ مارس ٢٠٢٤, ١٠:٠٠ص

تستقبل نساء غزة يوم الأم...

المركز القطرى للصحافة
كتائب إلكترونية لتخوين الصحفيين في غزة ٠٦ أبريل ٢٠٢٤, ٠٨:٠٠ص

تواصل الآلة الإعلامية الإسرائيلية حربها...